24 January 2009

another day, another knitting book

The book fairy came again yesterday (the Australia Post contracters don't knock anymore -- they just leave the parcel on the front porch, unless a signature is required -- my partner has "temporarily" shifted some junk from his workroom to just outside the front door, and the delivery guys have decided this is just the place to leave parcels ... they blend in with the clutter, so I'm never sure how long something's been sitting there, in plain sight yet invisible -- the up-side is that they're also pretty invisible to any opportunists who might be inclined to pinch stuff ... also, I usually go in and out via the side door, so I just have to make a point of checking every so often, or when I hear a van arrive/depart)

so now I have Knit 2 Together which is currently a steal on Amazon at US$5.50 -- it has some great patterns for bags and tops; some of the other patterns are interesting  just to see what Santa Monicans get excited about -- Mel Clark is a Kiwi who, although she's lived in California for 20+ years, bases a lot of her designs on what she grew up with ... and many of these are what my sister Americans are going for :-)

but the stories are the best part of the book! I love knitting (and cooking) books that tell stories! I'm actually only vaguely aware of who Tracy Ullman is, but she writes very well and entertainingly, and certainly contributes a lot to my enjoyment of this book.

at the bottom of the Ravelry page for this book is a link to Mel's Ravelry profile, which links to her blog and web site -- she moved back to NZ in 2007 and has a miraculous online store that's really well set-up to help you find the yarns you need/want -- including Manos del Uruguay non-sock yarns, for which Google found no Australian sellers.

No comments:

Post a Comment