22 January 2009

books!

Book of Yarn arrived today from Amazon -- only two weeks since they shipped it! so Knit 2 Together should arrive soon, then the other 3 in another few weeks ... I think I have too many books and/or not enough time to knit ... but I still want Sally Melville's new book, which might become available sooner than the official publication date -- French Girl Knits isn't due out until 1 Feb but they shipped it yesterday.
Book of Yarn has pretty pictures but also quite a lot of information that merits close reading, followed by careful study and consideration of my stash -- hopefully this will help me decide what to make with it ...
Odd that the book has a Moebius shawl pattern that doesn't use the method made popular by Cat Bordhi's books -- it creates the twist the "wrong" way, by twisting the cast-on stitches before joining -- sure enough, the project photos show that it has a full twist, i.e., it's not a Moebius strip at all. (I couldn't find the web pages I read before about this but found this awesome page by a mathematician who gives 3 different methods for knitting Moebius bands.)
The book does contain a pattern by Cat Bordhi -- a very elegant felted bag shaped like a calla lily, which might be just the thing to start me felting -- it looks like something I would fall in love with all over again, every time I looked at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment