26 January 2009

Vine flower / braided river dress

I started a dress for Aurelia, using Anne Hanson's vine flower dress pattern and repurposing the Paton's Focus on Linen yarn that I bought long ago to make a summer no/short-sleeve top, which I frogged to attempt the simple cardigan in Knitting Experience 2, which has been hibernating while I thought about how to handle the insufficient yarn problem. I still don't know how many metres I've got, as the label has no info except fibre content (not even any gauge or needle info!).

I really should have swatched the lace pattern before starting, to quickly see how the whole pattern would look in this yarn, but I thought I would have to reverse/invert the instructions on WS rows if I did it on straight needles -- it actually would have been quite easy, as every WS row would just be purled (that'll teach me to read the pattern though before starting!)
Luckily, the lace pattern seems to be turning out ok:



I really like this yarn -- such a pity that it was discontinued! In the vine pattern, the mixture of thick and thin, white, grey, aqua and lavender, reminds me of the braided river in NZ -- this outcrop.org photo comes close to my memory of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment